This Page Published
Club Logo.
Rocky Mountain
Orienteering Club

· Homepage
· Meet Schedule
· Meet Results
· Maps/Directions
· Newsletters
· Links
· Membership
· Contacts
· Photo Gallery

=====================================================================
RMOC MEETING SUMMARY
=====================================================================

DATE:  Wednesday, 03/15/2006
TIME:  6:30 - 8:00pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTENDEES

 Officers:

       [x]  Sherry Litasi, President
       [x]  Sverre Froyen, Vice President
       [ ]  Dick Matthews, Treasurer
       [x]  Brooke Mann, Secretary

 Other Members:

       [x]  Brian Coleman
       [x]  Adam Feerst
       [x]  Gordon McCurry

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A.  PRESIDENT'S REPORT (SHERRY LITASI):

* Sherry provided updates on USFS permit negotiations in various
areas.

* Sherry would like Mil Plant to start sending out a New Member Kit
whenever someone joins RMOC.  We agreed that the New Member Kit
should include:  a welcome letter, a copy of our schedule/flier (which
includes the website URL and club contacts), and the person's
membership term/expiration date.

* The Chataqua Scout event last weekend was a big success.  Sherry
reported that approximately 400 to 500 Scout leaders were in
attendance, many of whom visited the RMOC table and picked up our 2006
flier.  Brian taught a 90-minute class and then took the students out
to try a beginner course.  In general, there was lots of enthusiasm
and interest; both Brian and Sherry have received several follow-up
phone calls.

Adam proposed a group membership for Scout Troops or even regional
Scout Councils.  Sherry commented that our new bylaws do allow for
this.  Brian will talk to his Scout contacts about including our 2006
flier in an upcoming Scout newsletter.

* Sherry met with the Director at Peaceful Valley Scout Ranch.  She
would like to propose a USOF convention at this location for August
2007.

B.  VICE-PRESIDENT'S REPORT (SVERRE FROYEN):

* Permit applications for most of our 2006 meets are in the works.
JeffCo denied our request for a Bike-O at White Ranch.  With regard to
permits in the Colorado Springs area:  Sverre will follow-up on the
permit for Fox Run, and Bob Ward has already applied for a Palmer Park
permit.

* Sverre has requested a copy of the USOF Insurance Certificate, for
any meets that will require it.

C.  SECRETARY'S REPORT (BROOKE MANN):

* Brooke is continuing to work on the RMOC website upgrade.  Brooke
also hopes to have the mapping project spreadsheet updated and posted
today.

D.  MAPPING UPDATES:

* Monument Preserve and Chatfield:  Bob Ward and Alex Thomas are
planning to have these areas ready in time for their respective meets
in Fall 2006.  Sverre emphasized the importance of contacting
Chatfield Ranger Jim Smith before any meets are scheduled there.

* Gold Run:  Alex Thomas had difficulty synching the GPS data with
downloaded contour data.  Brian Coleman offered to consult on
technical issues such as map projections, OCAD intricacies, etc.

* Our contact at Devil's Thumb Ranch would like us to proceed with
mapping, although he still needs to get this officially OK'd by his
General Manager.

* Sherry sent a Saylor Park location map to the USFS so they can
determine if there are any "show stoppers" that would preclude us from
mapping and using this area.

* We need someone to GPS the trails at Eldora.

* Sharon Crawford and Dave Wilcox have agreed to GPS the trails at
Breckenridge Nordic Center.

* Christoph Zurcher is doing the Cherry Creek field work.  He
anticipates being done in time for our meet on 4/30/2006.  He'll also
be working on BCLP updates.

Sverre mentioned that the Cherry Creek Ranger wants us to avoid
certain wetlands areas.  The Ranger will specify the areas of
concern when Sverre picks up the permit.  Sverre will relay the
information to Sherry and Mark Hendrickson (Course Setter).  Adam
Feerst requested that we also avoid the off-leash dog park area.

* Sherry will re-schedule her meeting with the Buffalo Creek ranger to
discuss access & permit issues.  Our Buffalo Creek Mini-ROGAINE will
definitely be permit-less (i.e., members only, no entry fee, limit of
75 participants).

* JP Ingebrigtsen found a source for aerial photos of Golden Gate
State Park.

* Since Camp Patiya is adjacent to Myers Gulch, Gordon McCurry asked
Brian Coleman to pursue official access approval from his Scout
contacts.  Brian agreed to do so.

E.  OTHER BUSINESS:

* We agreed it would be a good idea to implement the online pre-
registration system for all meets in 2006, to give Course Setters and
Meet Directors a better idea of how many attendees to expect at each
event and how many maps to print.

* Brian proposed that we should print some of our fliers in color, to
be more eye-catching.  We'll need someone to get price quotes for this
so we can decide how many to print.

* Adam reminded us of his idea to teach an orienteering-specific
seminar at REI next Spring.  Meanwhile, we should give out our fliers
at REI's regular Map and Compass seminars.  Also, Brian is giving a
batch of fliers to his contacts at USGS.

* FYI -- the unofficial USFS permit request deadline is February 15
each year for new areas, and March 15 each year for existing areas
(i.e., areas we've used in the past).

* Sherry's USFS meeting about Round Mountain and Blue Mountain access
went well.  The next step is for Sherry to summarize her discussions
with the USFS in a letter.  Steve Willman will work with the USFS to
establish an accurate Hayman burn-area boundary for our meet at Lake
George.

* Sherry would like to order some RMOC business cards.  The expense
will be minimal (less than $20).

* Sherry had five attendees at the recent Course Setting workshop.

* The Mapping Workshop is being postponed 'til sometime this Fall,
probably in September after the 1000-Day meet.  Sherry would like to
use the Peaceful Valley area for a two-day mapping workshop.

* Adam Feerst suggested that ww should add a Bike-O at the Frisco
meet.  Sherry agreed.


Homepage | Meet Schedule | Meet Results | Maps/Directions | Newsletters
Links | Membership | Contacts | Photo Gallery | Webmaster

Fortnet logo. Thanks to FortNet for hosting our site.