Event Details For:
Orienteering Meet at Kelly Dahl (Nederland)
Saturday, October 10th, 2015
Meet Director: Kris Beecroft
Course Setter: Dennis Carney
Course Vetter: Kris Beecroft
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 11:00 pm MDT on Saturday, October 8th, 2016
[List of Registered Runners]
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. The pre-registration deadline is Thursday, October 8th, at 11:00 pm MDT. (Note: Large groups have a special pre-registration process; send an email to the webmaster for details.)
New for RMOC Members: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver. [Details]
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC President Kris Beecroft if you can volunteer at this meet: email. If you volunteer, you can still run a course. The following roles need to be filled on both days:
- Registration Table;
- Beginner Instruction;
- E-Punch Timing; and
- Control Pick-Up.
12:30 pm to 2:00 pm Registration and starts. (You can register and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take along time on your course.) 1:00 pm Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table. 4:00 pm All courses close at 4:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 4:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please return to the Finish no later than 4:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Courses: This meet will offer standard Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
- The Beginner courses (White and Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
- You can complete any of the courses as an Individual or as a Team. (Teams of just two or three work better than large teams.)
Maps: 1:10,000, 5m contour interval
Notes from the Course Setter:
- Water will be available on the Orange, Green, and Red courses.
- Watch out for fallen-down barbed wire, especially where gaps in fences are mapped (but even near mapped fences as well).
- Other than the large roads and trails, mapped trails can be hard or very hard to spot in the field.
- The White course is harder than a normal White course. Due to a lack of trails, fences are heavily used as linear handrail features to be followed to get from one control to another. The course has streamers to follow in two different places: early in the course, streamers lead from a control to a fence, and later in the course, an entire leg is streamered.
Course Length Length (km) # of
Beginner White Very Short 2.3 8 Yellow Short 2.6 10 Intermediate Orange Medium 4.8 12 Advanced Green Medium 5.0 14 Red Long 7.4 17
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply. Please refer to the table below.
- We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
- School groups can use our "Request for Invoice" form to be billed after the meet.
Status Age Course Type RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages All Courses $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 18) All Courses $11.00 Adult (18 and over) Beginner (White & Yellow) $11.00 Intermediate & Advanced $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions: From Boulder, head west on Canyon Boulevard / Highway 119 for approximately 17 miles to the town of Nederland. Go three-quarters of the way around the roundabout to continue south on Colorado Highway 119, through Nederland. The entrance to Kelly Dahl Campground is located on the east side of Highway 119 at mile-marker 22, across from Los Lagos Reservoir, about four miles south of Nederland. [Map]
Online pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2020-02-19 04:40:40