Event Details For:
Orienteering Meet at White Ranch (Golden)
Sunday, October 2nd, 2016
Meet Director: Doug Berling
Course Setter: Yves Nager
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 9:00 pm MDT on Friday, September 30th, 2016
[List of Registered Runners]
1. Construction Delay: Crawford Gulch Road is under construction and is down to one lane between Golden Gate Canyon Road and Drew Hill Road. The average wait time through the one-lane area is about 10-15 minutes during weekday construction, but we're not sure if construction will be active on Sunday.
An alternate route from Golden Gate Canyon Road (Hwy 46) is to turn right on the SECOND Crawford Gulch Road or Drew Hill Road turnoff and follow to the White Ranch turnoff / Belcher Hill Road, which will fork to the left.
2. Start Location: The walk from the registration area to the start is about 15 minutes (0.8 km / 90-meter climb). Please allow extra time.
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. (Note: Large groups have a special pre-registration process; send an email to the webmaster for details.)
9:30 am to 11:00 am Registration and starts. (You can register and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take a long time on your course.)
*The walk from the registration area to the start is about 15 minutes (0.8 km / 90-meter climb). Please allow extra time.
10:00 am Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 10:00 am in the vicinity of the Registration table. 1:00 pm All courses close at 1:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 1:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 1:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Courses: This meet will offer standard Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
- The Beginner courses (White and Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
- You can complete any of the courses as an Individual or as a Team. (Teams of just two or three work better than large teams.)
This meet will take place on a new and expanded map, recently completed by Yves Nager.
Course Length Length (km) Climb (m) # of
Beginner White Very Short 2.4 60 8 Yellow Short 2.9 100 9 Intermediate Orange Medium 4.3 130 11 Advanced Brown Short 4.9 150 13 Green Medium 5.5 250 14 Red Long 8.1 350 18 Blue Extra-Long 11.0 440 24
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table. When you register, let a volunteer know that you would like Beginner Instruction.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply. Please refer to the table below.
- We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
- School groups can use our "Request for Invoice" form to be billed after the meet.
Status Age Course Type RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages All Courses $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 18) All Courses $11.00 Adult (18 and over) Beginner (White & Yellow) $11.00 Intermediate & Advanced $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC Vice-President Doug Berling if you can volunteer at this meet: email. If you volunteer, you can still run a course. The following roles need to be filled:
- Registration Table;
- Beginner Instruction;
- E-Punch Timing; and
- Control Pick-Up.
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions: From Highway 93, 1.4 miles north of the intersection with US Highway 6 in Golden, turn west at the Golden Gate State Park / White Ranch turnoff (Golden Gate Canyon Road). Proceed 3.7 miles, then turn right (north) at the sign directing you to White Ranch (Crawford Gulch Road). Drive about 4 miles, turn right at another White Ranch sign (Belcher Hill Road), then continue about 1.5 miles to the park entrance. Pass the initial parking area on the left and continue another quarter-mile to the main parking area.
If the main lot is full, park at the smaller lot on the north side of the road. If that lot is also full, parallel-park along the north side of the road. DO NOT park along the south side of the road.
Online pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2021-01-24 02:37:59