Event Details For:
Orienteering Meet at Bear Creek Lake Park (Lakewood)
Sunday, May 14th, 2017
Meet Director: Doug Berling
Course Setter: Sverre Froyen
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 9:00 pm MDT on Thursday, May 11th, 2017
[List of Registered Runners]
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. (Note: Large groups have a special pre-registration process; send an email to the webmaster for details.)
New for RMOC Members: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver. [Details]
9:30 am to 11:00 am Registration and starts. (You can register and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take a long time on your course.) 10:00 am Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 10:00 am in the vicinity of the Registration table. 1:00 pm All courses close at 1:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 1:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 1:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Courses: This meet will offer standard Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
- The Beginner courses (White and Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
- Bear Creek and Turkey Creek are usually crossable if you don't mind getting your feet wet. Sometimes, however, the water flow is strong enough make crossing dangerous. In that case, you MUST cross on a bridge. The bridges are marked on the map with purple crossing-point symbols. Please ask about the crossing status at check-in.
Course Length Length (km) Climb (m) # of
Beginner White Very Short 1.7 10 8 Yellow Short 1.8 15 8 Intermediate Orange Medium 4.0 30 11 Advanced Green Medium 5.6 50 15 Red Long 8.2 100 18
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place at 10:00 am in the vicinity of the Registration table. When you check in, let a volunteer know that you would like Beginner Instruction.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply. Please refer to the table below.
- We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
- School groups can use our "Request for Invoice" form to be billed after the meet.
The park entry fee is $10 per vehicle.
Status Age Course Type RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages All Courses $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 21) All Courses $11.00 Adult (21 and over) Beginner (White & Yellow) $11.00 Intermediate & Advanced $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC President Doug Berling if you can volunteer at this meet: email. If you volunteer, you can still run a course. The following roles need to be filled:
- Registration Table;
- Beginner Instruction;
- E-Punch Timing; and
- Control Pick-Up.
Attention: Please follow "leave no trace" principles to preserve our permit privileges at BCLP:
- When on trail, do not shortcut.
- Do not cause unnecessary erosion; avoid steep hillsides, especially sandy or gravelly ones.
- Do not damage vegetation; slow down in or avoid dense areas.
- Avoid damage to wetlands.
- Local Weather Forecast: Weather Underground
- Driving Directions: From C-470, exit at Morrison Road and head east. The park entrance is approximately 0.25 miles away. Follow the orange-and-white orienteering signs to the parking area.
The park entry fee is $10 per vehicle. [Park Website]
Here's what the "orange and white orienteering signs" look like:
Pre-Registration FormOnline pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2017-11-20 00:50:28