Event Details For:
Orienteering Meet at Mueller State Park (Divide)
Saturday, March 18th, 2017
Meet Director: Jim Baker
Course Setter: Jim Baker
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, March 16th, 2017
[List of Registered Runners]
General Information: Mueller State Park has sixty miles of trails on twenty square kilometers, as well as awesome views and a nice visitor center with bathrooms. The terrain and views are beautiful.
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. The pre-registration deadline is 10:00 pm on Thursday, March 16th.
Beginners: Beginners are welcome to participate at this event! In fact, this will be a great event for orienteering beginners, since all controls will be located on trails.
Basic Beginner Orienteering Instruction will be available at 11:30 am; ask at the Registration table.
Reminder -- For safety reasons, you must report to the Finish by 2:00 pm even if you don't complete your course.
11:00 am - 12:00 pm · Registration and Starts for all orienteering participants. (You may register and start anytime during this period.) Register at the white Chevy Volt in the parking lot. 2:00 pm · All courses close. For safety reasons and out of consideration for the event volunteers, you must return to the Finish by 2:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.
Courses: This event will have a "Score-O" format: find as many controls as possible, in any order, within the two-hour time limit. You can do a few kilometers or twenty+, as you like. Be sure to look up at the control points; many have views or ruins. Even the view from the Visitor Center parking is worth coming for.
· The map will be the park's standard black-and-white topographic trail map, overprinted with the course and descriptions, 11"x17". It's a good quality map, though at a greater degree of generalization than a typical orienteering map.
· Controls will be marked on the map with red circles; in the terrain, controls will be identified with orange and white flags.
· All controls and orienteering will be on trails, even if the description is "south of pond", "ruin", "potato ditch northeast end", etc.
· Trails 19 and 22 are closed due to septic construction, and will be marked with purple X to indicate forbidden route.
· All trails are available for travel on foot; a few narrow trails forbid horse riding and bicycling. If horse riding or bicycling, please note these trails on the map before starting.
· There won't be any water or refreshments on any of the courses, so plan to bring your own (CamelBak, water bottle, etc.).
· All participants are required to stay on trails for this event.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply; please refer to the table below.
Note: Mueller State Park requires a $7-per-vehicle entry fee or an annual Colorado State Parks pass.
Status Age Course RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages Score-O $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 18) Score-O $11.00 Adult (18 and over) Score-O $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC President Doug Berling if you can help out at the meet -- email. If you volunteer, you can still complete a course. The following roles need to be filled:
- Registration Table;
- Beginner Instruction;
- E-Punch Timing; and
- Control Pick-Up.
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions: From I-25 in Colorado Springs, take US 24 west to the stoplight in Divide. Turn left (south) on Colorado 67 and continue for four miles to Mueller State Park, which will be on the right. Continue up the hill and proceed past the Visitor Center to the next parking on the left, Outlook Ridge Trailhead.
Note that there is a $7-per-vehicle park entrance fee, or you may use your Colorado State Parks pass. [Park Information]
Pre-Registration FormOnline pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2018-09-20 18:52:08