Meet Director: Doug Berling
Course Setter: Galen Moore
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 12:00 pm MDT on Thursday, August 10th, 2017
Special Notes: Our registration / start / finish area will be at the M-Lazy-C Ranch, at the northwest corner of the tent camping area.
- Each person (participant or not) must check into the ranch office to get a window tag (RMOC is paying the day use fee).
- All participants should arrive either before 9:00 am after 11:00 am, if possible, to avoid the ranch's busy period with weekend guests and their horses.
- Camping (with showers and wifi) is available at the ranch for $20, with optional breakfast for $10. Reservations must be made in advance directly with the ranch staff -- www.mlazyc.com.
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. (Note: Large groups have a special pre-registration process; send an email to the webmaster for details.)
New for RMOC Members: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver. [Details]
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table. When you check in, let a volunteer know that you would like Beginner Instruction.
Advanced Instruction: Neal Barlow will lead a training session to help develop advanced orienteering skills, starting at 10:00 am and finishing around noon. This session will be for intermediate (Orange-level) orienteers looking to move up to advanced courses, and also for advanced orienteers interested in learning new techniques. Neal says: "Orienteering is not a one-size-fits-all sport. There are usually multiple ways to get to a control and get around a course faster. Participants will walk around the Brown (short advanced) course with Neal and discuss things like equipment, pre-start preparation, route choice, tips, tricks, stories, life, the universe, and everything. They will then be able to complete an official course on their own (or in teams) when the meet starts at 12:30 pm." Please pre-register below you'd like to participate in Neal's advanced training session.
|10:00 am to 12:00 pm||Training for intermediate (Orange-level) orienteers who would like to progress to Advanced courses.|
|12:30 pm to 2:00 pm||Registration and starts. (You can register and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take a long time on your course.)|
|1:00 pm||Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table.|
|4:00 pm||All courses close at 4:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 4:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 4:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)|
Courses: This meet will offer standard Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
The Beginner courses (White and Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
|Course||Length||Length (km)||Climb (m)||# of
Course Setter's Notes from Galen:
- This is fun and very nicely mapped terrain, although not terribly difficult technically or physically (all courses have about 2% elevation gain). On every course, most of the climbing will occur in the first half of the course.
- Visibility and run-ability through the forest are excellent except for only a couple of small areas with areas of young evergreens.
- Note that the Brown course, which will be used for Neal's 10am Advanced Training session, shares some controls with the Orange, Green, and Red courses. Those on these courses who join Neal's session will therefore have the dual advantage of having had both fresh training and a partial preview of their course.
- In some cases, there may be a different number of pits/depressions than is shown in a particular group on the map, so don't worry if the map says four pits and you get there and find five, etc. The feature with the control will generally be the ____ern-most of whatever number there actually are.
- Please avoid camp sites as much as possible, and be on the lookout for ATVs and horses.
- Warning: there are numerous pits on this map – keep clear of the deeper, rockier ones.
- Orange and Green can access one water stop with a short deviation between controls.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply. Please refer to the table below.
- We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
- School groups can use our "Request for Invoice" form to be billed after the meet.
|Status||Age||Course Type||RMOC Meet
|RMOC Member||All Ages||All Courses||$11.00|
|Non-Member||Junior (under 21)||All Courses||$11.00|
|Adult (21 and over)||Beginner (White & Yellow)||$11.00|
|Intermediate & Advanced||$15.00|
|E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy)||– $3.00|
|Extra Maps (for teams)||$3.00|
|Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day)||$5.00|
|Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.)||$1.00|
|Safety Whistle Purchase||$1.00|
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC President Doug Berling if you can volunteer at this meet: email. If you volunteer, you can still run a course. The following roles need to be filled:
Current date and time: 2017-10-22 15:05:01