Event Details For:
"Wild Goat" Long-Distance Orienteering Meet (also Beginner & Intermediate courses) at Dell Gulch (Buffalo Creek)
Saturday, June 23rd, 2018
Meet Director: Volunteer Needed
Course Setter: Jim Baker
Course Vetter: Volunteer Needed
E-Punch Coordinator: Volunteer Needed
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, June 21st, 2018
[List of Registered Runners]
General Information: This event will take place on a brand-new map created by Jim Baker.
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. (Note: Large groups have a special pre-registration process; send an email to the webmaster for details.)
New for RMOC Members: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver. [Details]
Schedule: Note that this event will have a special schedule.
9:00 am to 9:40 am Registration. 9:40 am Basic beginner instruction. 10:00 am Mass start for all Goat runners (three-hour time limit). 10:00 am to 10:20 am Interval starts for White, Yellow & Brown participants. 1:00 pm All courses close at 1:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 1:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 1:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Volunteers: Please add your name to the Volunteer Sign-up List if you can help at the meet. If you volunteer, you can still run a course. The following roles need to be filled: Setup, Registration, Beginner Instruction, Starts, E-Punch Timing, and Control Pick-Up.
Courses: This meet will offer a long-distance "goat" course for intermediate & advanced orienteers, as well as three standard orienteering courses -- White and Yellow (for beginners), and Brown (short distance / advanced navigation).
You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
The Beginner courses (White and Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
Course Length Length (km) Climb (m) Beginner White Very Short 2.0 50 Yellow Short 3.0 80 Advanced Brown Short 3.0 80 Goat Loop 1 * Medium 4.5 125 Goat Loop 2 * Medium 4.5 125 Goat Loop 3 * Medium 4.5 125
* Special "goat" rules: You can skip one control on each loop. Complete one, two, or all three loops for an official finisher souvenir (choose on the fly -- there's no need to declare your loop intentions ahead of time).
Notes from the Course Setter: For the Goat loops, the fastest routes will involve technical navigation in typical Colorado mountain terrain (think Brown, Green, Red, Blue). It will also be possible to complete the Goat loops using solid Orange-level (intermediate) navigation using longer routes around by trail, dirt road, clearing, or powerline, and then attacking in. (Same idea as our 2016 event at Florissant, but this course will be a tad shorter and have less climb by popular demand.)
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place at 9:40 am in the vicinity of the Registration table. When you check in, let a volunteer know that you would like Beginner Instruction.
- Our standard meet fees will apply for White, Yellow & Brown participants (see table below).
- "Goat" runners will pay an extra $2 on top of standard event fees (see table below).
- We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
- School groups can use our "Request for Invoice" form to be billed after the meet.
Status Age Course Type RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages White, Yellow & Brown $11.00 "Goat" course $13.00 Non-Member Junior (under 21) White, Yellow & Brown $11.00 "Goat" course $13.00 Adult (21 and over) White & Yellow (Beginner) $11.00 Brown (Advanced) $15.00 "Goat" course $17.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) White, Yellow & Brown $3.00 Packet of "Goat" Maps $5.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00 USFS Parking Fee (cash only / exact change required) $6.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Photo of the Dell Gulch area, courtesy of Jim Baker:
- Local Weather Forecast: Weather Underground
- Driving Directions:
Each vehicle is required to pay a $6 parking fee at the post (cash only, exact change required).
- From US 285 in the town of Pine: Take Jefferson County Road 126 south for 13.6 miles, passing through the towns of Pine and Buffalo Creek. Turn right on Forest Road 550, and then turn immediately right again into the parking area.
- From Woodland Park: Take Colorado 67 north for 23.5 miles to Deckers. Go north over the bridge onto Jefferson County Road 126 and proceed 11.3 miles. Turn left on Forest Road 550, and then turn immediately right into the parking area.
· The online pre-registration deadline for this meet is: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, June 21st, 2018.
· After you submit the registration form, use the "List of Registered Runners" link (below) to double-check your registration status.
· If you need to make a change to your registration information, send an email to the webmaster.
· Teams who will be doing a course together only need to submit the entry form one time for the team. If you need to register additional family members or friends who will be doing the course separately, enter them separately.
Current date and time: 2018-06-17 19:58:32