Event Details For:
Ski-O & Snowshoe-O at Eldora Nordic Center (Nederland)
Saturday, March 3rd, 2018
Meet Director: Volunteer Needed
Course Setter: John Crowther
Course Vetter: Volunteer Needed
E-Punch Coordinator: Volunteer Needed
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, March 1st, 2018
[List of Registered Runners]
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page.
The pre-registration deadline is 10:00 pm on Thursday, March 1st.
New for RMOC Members Only: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver for 2018. [Details]
Beginners: Beginners are welcome to participate at this event! In fact, this will be a great event for orienteering beginners, since it'll mostly be on trails.
One session of Beginner Orienteering Instruction will take place at 10:00 am near the Start / Finish / Registration area.
Reminder -- For safety reasons, you must report to the Finish even if you don't complete your course.
Courses: We'll offer three courses for both XC Skis and Snowshoes: Short, Medium, and Long. These courses will have the standard point-to-point format where you find all the controls, in the order specified on the map, and the fastest time wins.
Beginner / Short 3.0 Intermediate / Medium 4.5 Advanced / Long 6.9
· These course lengths are measured straight-line between each control; actual ski-trail distances may be up to 50% longer.
· Note for Beginner Skiers: Because of the topography at Eldora, all three courses will have some amount of hills and steepness.
· There are no control descriptions in ski-orienteering, but each control will have a code. Make sure you punch the correct control by matching the code against your map or clue sheet. The controls will be hung next to the trails.
· Skiers may use classic XC skis or skate skis. Both skis and snowshoes can be rented at the Eldora Nordic Center. [Rental Details]
· There won't be any water or refreshments on any of the courses, so plan to bring your own (CamelBak, water bottle, etc.).
- You are allowed to ski and snowshoe off trail.
- Some trails are one-way only; please follow the direction and do NOT ski or snowshoe against the one-way direction. The map will have directional arrows to mark the one-way trails, and the courses have been designed so you shouldn't have to go against the flow. (There are a couple of places where you may very briefly pop in and back out a one-way trail, and this is OK.)
- Snowshoes must always keep to the outer edge of the groomed and classic ski tracks (outside the parallel grooves). Snowshoes may not walk in the middle of the ski trails or on the groomed tracks. Walking on the groomed tracks could get us disqualified from using the Eldora Nordic Center in the future. Thank you for respecting this rule.
- Snowshoe participants will be required to wear a special bib at this meet to indicate that they're allowed on the ski trails. (Typically, showshoes are not allowed on the ski trails at Eldora.)
Schedule: Registration and Start / Finish will take place in the waxing shed next to the main Nordic Center building (at the southeast end of the big main parking lot).
9:30 am - 11:00 am · Registration and Starts for Ski-O and Snowshoe-O participants. (You may register and start at any time during this period.) 10:00 am · Beginner orienteering instruction near the Start / Finish / Registration area. 1:00 pm · All courses close. For safety reasons and out of consideration for the event volunteers, you must return to the Finish by 1:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply; please refer to the table below.
An Eldora Nordic Center trail pass will also be required. Passes will be discounted to $25 for orienteering participants (standard adult price is $32). You are free to stay and use the Eldora Nordic Center trails for the rest of the day after you complete your orienteering course.
Status Age Course RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages All Courses $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 18) All Courses $11.00 Adult (18 and over) Short $11.00 Medium & Long $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC President Doug Berling if you can help out at this meet -- email. If you volunteer, you can still ski or snowshoe a course. The following roles need to be filled:
- Registration Table;
- Beginner Instruction;
- E-Punch Timing; and
- Control Pick-Up.
Come try Ski- and Snowshoe-Orienteering! This is the Scandinavian sport of map-reading and navigation on XC skis or snowshoes. It can be a serious competition for elite skiers and snowshoe runners, or a fun map-reading excursion for non-competitive participants. In either case, the objective is to read the map provided to you, visit each checkpoint location, and return to the finish. A typical Advanced course may take one or two hours to complete; less time will be required for for Beginner and Intermediate courses.
Checkpoints (aka "controls") will be marked on the map with red circles; in the terrain, controls will be identified with orange and white flags. All controls will be located on trails. But, back by popular demand, there will be some "bushwhack" possibilities for those hearty (foolhardy?) souls who want to try cutting through the woods in some places between trails, rather than skiing around.
Careful map reading and route choice is the key to orienteering. Will bushwhacking save time over a longer route on groomed trails? Can an experienced orienteer out-navigate an expert skier? Come try it and have some fun! Beginners are especially welcome.
Eldora Mountain Resort has 40 kilometers of groomed trails. Snowshoe and cross-country ski rentals are available through the Eldora Nordic Center.
Our orienteering map of this area was updated in 2008 by JP Ingebrigtsen, and again in 2015 by Doug Berling. The map is 1:10,000 scale with 40' contours.
Randy & Janie punching a control on the snowshoe course at our 2011 Eldora meet.>
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions: Our registration / start / finish area will be in the waxing shed next to the Nordic center.
From Denver South: Take I-224 and connect to C-470. Connect to Route 6 in Golden. See Golden directions below to continue into Eldora.
From Denver Metro & North - APPROXIMATELY 47 MILES (60 MINUTES): Take I-25 North to 36 West, head into Boulder, and then use directions from Boulder.
From Golden - APPROXIMATELY 35 MILES (45 MINUTES): Take Highway 93 North to Highway 72, follow Highway 72, turn right onto Highway 119, turn left on road 130 and follow the signs to Eldora.
From Fort Collins - APPROXIMATELY 70 MILES (90 MINUTES): Take I-25 South, exit onto Highway 119 West to Boulder, exit onto the Diagonal Parkway (Iris Boulevard), turn left onto 28th Street to Canyon Blvd, turn right, and then follow directions from Boulder.
From Boulder - APPROXIMATELY 21 MILES (35 MINUTES): Take Canyon Boulevard West (Canyon Bouldevard is Hwy 119). Follow 119 to Nederland. Turn left at the roundabout. Continue south on 119 for one mile. Turn right on 130 and follow the signs to Eldora.
Pre-Registration FormOnline pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2019-05-22 03:00:51