Event Details For:
Orienteering Meet at Camp Elim (Woodland Park)
Saturday, June 22nd, 2019
Meet Director: Doug Berling
Course Setter: Neal Barlow
Course Vetter: Galen Moore
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, June 20th, 2019
[List of Registered Runners]
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page. (Note: Large groups have a special pre-registration process; send an email to the webmaster for details.)
New for RMOC Members: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver. [Details]
12:30 pm to 2:00 pm Registration and starts. (You can register and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take a long time on your course.) 1:00 pm Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table. 4:00 pm All courses close at 4:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 4:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 4:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Courses: Since our Camp Elim map covers a small area, we will have special course options for this event: one Beginner course, and a series of short but progressively more technical courses for intermediate and advanced participants.
- The Beginner course will be suitable for beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
- The loop courses must be completed in order. There will be a premium on fast and accurate navigation!
Length Length (km) Climb (m) Beginner Beginner Very Short 0.9 60 1 Loop Intermediate Medium 1.9 100 2 Loops 3.7 180 3 Loops Advanced Long 5.9 270 4 Loops* 8.0 340
*NOTE: The full four-loop course has 29 controls, and RMOC's rental SportIdent sticks can only hold 30 punches (plus start and finish). This is a limitation of all SI-5 and SI-8 sticks (serial numbers 1 - 499999 and 2000001 - 2999999).
If you punch twice at a control (e.g. "punch, drink, punch"), that will take up two slots on your timing stick, and your last few punches won't register. If you don't see & hear the beep / flash at later controls on the four-loop course, use the pin-punch on the control to punch the edge of your map to prove you were at the control.
Map Notes: Camp Elim has myriad small reentrants on the sides of two long modest ridges in gentle terrain with open forest.
- The map is 1:5,000 scale with a 5-meter contour interval.
- There is a new barbed wired fence across the area; only cross at crossing points marked on your map. There is also an old barbed wire fence which is easy to cross in most places.
- There is no water on the courses, but there will be water at the start, map exchange, and finish, which are located together, and you are welcome to leave your own drinks and food there.
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place at 1:00 pm in the vicinity of the Registration table. When you register, let a volunteer know that you would like Beginner Instruction.
Volunteers: Please add your name to the Volunteer Sign-up Sheet HERE if you can help before or after you complete your course. We need the usual roles to be filled: Set-up, Registration, Beginner Instruction, Starts, E-Punch Crew, and Control Pick-up, as well as Water & Snacks.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply. Please refer to the table below.
- We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
- School groups can use our "Request for Invoice" form to be billed after the meet.
Status Age Course Type RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages All Courses $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 21) All Courses $11.00 Adult (21 and over) Beginner $11.00 Intermediate & Advanced Loop Courses $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
- Local Weather Forecast: National Weather Service
- Driving Directions: From highway 67 north of Woodland Park and south of Westcreek (and just south of Manitou Lake recreation area), take CR 78 (Painted Rocks Road) west. Just past Painted Rocks Campground (which appears to be open), turn left onto CR 782 / Quinlan Gulch Road. (If you come to Camp Elim, you've gone a little too far.) Take CR 782 to the pullout on the right and gate for USFS road 341A (39.078422, -105.120115). Park in the pullout; the gate is the start/finish. Do not park at Camp Elim.
Online pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2020-08-04 05:53:21