Event Details For:
Advanced Practice Courses, 5/31 - 6/2 at Laramie Range (Laramie, WY)
Friday, May 31st, 2019 - Sunday, June 2nd, 2019
Meet Director: B. Brooke Mann
Course Setters: Mikell Platt & John Crowther
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: N / A
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, May 30th, 2019
[List of Registered Runners]
Event Details: RMOC and the Laramie Range Orienteering Club are partnering to offer a weekend of advanced orienteering practice courses near Laramie, WY (~two hours north of Boulder / Denver), in the Medicine Bow National Forest.
* The weekend's events will consist of practice courses for advanced-level orienteers (anyone able to complete a Brown, Green, Red, or Blue course).
* This will be a bare-bones event: each course will be self-timed; results will not be recorded or published; and beginner instruction will not be offered.
* Pre-registration is required by 10pm on Thursday, 5/30. Use the form at the bottom of this page.
* We'll have some snacks. Bring your own water.
* There will not be porta-potties or pit toilets at any of our practice course locations. Use the bathrooms at the Visitor Center when you exit I-80.
Friday, 5/31 Saturday, 6/1 Sunday, 6/2 Map: Granite Planite Diamond Bay
Pelican Bay Course Setter: Mikell Platt John Crowther Mikell Platt Courses: Advanced -- Green Advanced -- Red (10k with 7k & 4k shortcut options) Advanced -- Red (omit one loop for a shorter course) Check in & Start: 4:00 - 4:15 pm* 2:00 - 2:15 pm* 10:00 - 10:15 am* Course Markers: Streamers Streamers Control flags Map Cases: Map cases provided Map cases provided Map cases provided
*If you arrive late, look for maps on the windshield of the silver Subaru sedan.
Entry Fee: This practice event is free. However, if you would like to make a donation to help defray costs, that would be welcome and appreciated. LROC accepts cash and checks payable to "Laramie Range Orienteering Club".
Waivers: All participants will be required to sign a waiver (even if you have already signed the RMOC annual waiver; the RMOC annual waiver does not mention or cover LROC).
You can save some time at check-in by printing, signing, and bringing along a copy of the waiver HERE. If you're attending as part of a group or team, every participant in the group / team needs their own signed waiver.
Saturday Morning Options: If you're arriving on Friday, here are some things to do in Laramie on Saturday morning:
* Mural tour, downtown walking history tour, Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site, and more -- DETAILS.
(Our Saturday practice course starts in the afternoon to allow the setter time to drive up from Denver that morning and put out streamers.)
Group Dinner: Join us for a group dinner at 7:00 pm on Saturday night, at Andale Rápido (2900 E. Grand Ave.). RSVP required when you pre-register (below).
Other Food Recommendations:
* The Big Dipper (recently named Best Ice Cream in Wyoming)
* Alibi Pizzeria for wood-fired pizzas and morning pastries
* Coal Creek Coffee
* Turtle Creek Coffee
* Altitude Chophouse & Brewery
* Anong's Thai
* The Crowbar & Grill
Travel: Please refer to our 2018 event page for detailed information about hotels, camping, and activities in Laramie.
Driving Directions: There will NOT be any directional signs, and cell service may be limited. Please print these directions for reference.
Please park no more than one car length off the dirt road, or as directed by the parking volunteer.
* Friday, 5/31 -- Granite Planite: From I-80 Exit 323 (the Visitor's Center exit), take WY 210 / Happy Jack Rd east toward Cheyenne for 11.1 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 700, and continue on 700 for 0.8 miles to the junction with 700R. Turn left onto 700R and begin parking past the short wooden fences, in the open spaces on either side of the road. Please do not park along 700R *past* the intersection with 700RA; parking anywhere along 700RA is fine.
* Saturday, 6/1 -- Diamond Bay: From I-80 Exit 323 (the Visitor's Center exit), take WY 210 / Happy Jack Rd east for 7.6 miles. Turn left onto Forest Service road 701. Stay on 701 for one mile to the corral and cattle gate. Park in the vicinity of the corral.
* Sunday, 6/2 -- Pelican Bay: From I-80 Exit 323 (the Visitor's Center exit), take WY 210 / Happy Jack Rd east toward Cheyenne for 8.2 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service road 707A. Continue for 0.4 miles to fork in roads and park in that area.
Photos L-R by Pete Curtis, Graham Baird, and Rex Winterbottom.
- Local Weather Forecast: WeatherUnderground.com
- Driving Directions: See driving directions above.
Pre-Registration FormOnline pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2019-06-19 21:17:32