Event Details For:
Advanced Practice Courses, August 23-25 at Laramie Range (Laramie, WY)
Friday, August 23rd, 2019 - Sunday, August 25th, 2019
Meet Director: B. Brooke Mann
Course Setters: Mikell Platt & Neal Barlow
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: N / A
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, August 22nd, 2019
[List of Registered Runners]
Event Details: RMOC and the Laramie Range Orienteering Club are partnering to offer a weekend of advanced orienteering practice courses near Laramie, WY (~two hours north of Boulder / Denver), in the Medicine Bow National Forest.
* The weekend's events will consist of practice courses for advanced-level orienteers (anyone able to complete a Brown, Green, Red, or Blue course).
* This will be a bare-bones event: each course will be self-timed; results will not be recorded or published; and beginner instruction will not be offered.
* Pre-registration is required by 10pm on Thursday, 8/22. Use the form at the bottom of this page.
* Bring your own water battle or CamelBak; there will not be any water on the courses or at the start / finish.
* There will not be porta-potties or pit toilets at any of our practice course locations. Use the bathrooms at the Visitor Center when you exit I-80.
Friday, 8/23 Saturday, 8/24 Sunday, 8/25 Map: [Forrest Meadows]
[East Pelican Bay]
Course Setter: Mikell Platt Neal Barlow Mikell Platt Courses: Advanced -- Red Advanced -- Red
(7.8 km / 26 controls
with shortcut options)
Advanced -- Red Check in & Start: 4:00 - 4:15 pm* 10:00 - 10:15 am* 10:00 - 10:15 am* Course Markers: Control Flags Streamers Control Flags Map Cases: Map cases provided
*If you arrive late, look for maps on the windshield of the white pickup truck.
Entry Fee: This practice event is free. However, if you would like to make a donation to help defray map printing costs, that would be welcome and appreciated. LROC accepts cash and checks payable to "Laramie Range Orienteering Club".
Waivers: All participants will be required to sign a waiver (even if you have already signed the RMOC annual waiver; the RMOC annual waiver does not mention or cover LROC).
You can save some time at check-in by printing, signing, and bringing along a copy of the waiver HERE. If you're attending as part of a group or team, every participant in the group / team needs their own signed waiver.
Travel: Please refer to our 2018 event page for detailed information about hotels, camping, and activities in Laramie.
Fun in Laramie:
* Farmers Market, Fridays 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm at Depot Park on 1st Street.
* Mural tour, downtown walking history tour, Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site, and more -- DETAILS.
* Big Dipper Ice Cream, 111 E Ivinson St.
Driving Directions: There will NOT be any directional signs, and cell service may be limited. Please print or download these directions for reference.
Please park no more than one car length off the dirt road.
* Friday, 8/23 -- Forrest Meadows: From I-80 Exit 323 (Visitor Center exit), take WY 210 / Happy Jack Road east toward Cheyenne for about 8.2 miles. Turn right / south onto Forest Service road 707A. Continue for 0.4 miles and veer right at the road fork, remaining on 707A. Continue for about another 0.4 miles to and through the cattle gate, veer right at the fork immediately after, and park. [Google Map]
* Saturday, 8/24 -- East Pelican Bay: From I-80 Exit 323 (Visitor Center exit), take WY 210 / Happy Jack Road east toward Cheyenne for about 11.1 miles. Turn right / south onto Forest Service Road 700, and continue on 700 for 0.8 miles to the junction with 700R. Turn left onto 700R and begin parking past the short wooden fences, in the open spaces on either side of the road. [Google Map]
* Sunday, 8/25 -- Superfly Marsh: From I-80 Exit 323 (Visitor Center exit), take WY 210 / Happy Jack Road east toward Cheyenne for about 2.8 miles and turn left / north onto Forest Service Road 712. Follow 712 for 2.1 miles to a T-intersection and turn right. Continue on 712 for 0.3 miles and turn left at the next intersection. Follow 712 for 1.8 miles to a four-way intersection and turn left onto 714. Follow 714 north for about 1.6 miles (along the way 714 turns into 713), to the intersection with 713C. Turn right onto 713C, continue east for about 0.5 miles, and park. This spur road has several rougher spots near the end of this distance -- not hard to get by if you take it slow -- but you can also stop early and you will still be close to the start. [Google Map]
Note that several numbered road signs may be missing along the way.
[LROC Overview Map] (Ignore the dates on this map -- they're from our 2018 event.)
Photos L-R by Pete Curtis, Graham Baird, and Rex Winterbottom.
- Local Weather Forecast: WeatherUnderground.com
- Driving Directions: See driving directions above.
Online pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2019-10-15 03:07:58