Event Details For:
Ski-O at Snow Mountain Ranch (Granby)
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019
Meet Director: Doug Berling
Course Setter: Doug Berling
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 12:00 pm MDT on Friday, February 22nd, 2019
[List of Registered Runners]
General Information: RMOC will be hosting this Ski-Orienteering meet in conjunction with the Sons of Norway Barneløpet event.
For 2019, we will stage at the Legett Building (registration, start & finish).
Due to Snow Mountain Ranch trail rules, we will not have a snowshoe course option at this event.
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page.
The pre-registration deadline is 12:00 pm (noon) on Friday, February 22nd.
RMOC Members Only: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver for 2019. [Details]
Beginners: Beginners are welcome to participate at this event! This will be a great event for orienteering beginners, since it'll mostly be on trails.
Basic Beginner Orienteering Instruction will be available; please ask at the Registration table.
Reminder -- For safety reasons, you must report to the Finish no later than 2:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.
10:00 am - 12:00 pm · Registration and Starts for all orienteering participants. (You may register and start anytime during this period.) 2:00 pm · All courses close. For safety reasons and out of consideration for the event volunteers, you must return to the Finish by 2:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.
Event Fees: Our standard meet fees will apply, except that kids under age 18 will be FREE. Please refer to the table below.
A Snow Mountain Ranch trail pass will also be required. Adult trail passes will be discounted for our event (discounted price is TBD; normal price is $25).
You are free to stay and use Snow Mountain Ranch's trails for the rest of the day after you complete your orienteering course.
Status Age Course RMOC Meet
RMOC Member Junior (under 18) All Courses FREE Age 18+ All Courses $11.00 Non-Member Junior (under 18) All Courses FREE Adult (age 18+) Short $11.00 Medium & Long $15.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
Volunteers: Please contact RMOC President Doug Berling if you can help out at the meet -- email. If you volunteer, you can still complete a course. The following roles need to be filled:
- Registration Table;
- Beginner Instruction;
- E-Punch Timing; and
- Control Pick-Up.
Courses: We'll offer three courses for XC Skiers: Short, Medium, and Long. These courses will have the standard point-to-point format where you find all the controls in the order specified on the map, and the fastest time wins.
· Skiers may use classic XC skis or skate skis. Both can be rented at the Snow Mountain Ranch Nordic Center. [Rental Details]
· There won't be any water or refreshments on any of the courses, so plan to bring your own (CamelBak, water bottle, etc.).
- You are allowed to ski off trail.
- Some trails are one-way only; please follow the direction and do NOT ski against the one-way direction. The map will have directional arrows to indicate the one-way trails, and the courses have been designed so you shouldn't have to go against the flow. (There are a couple of places where you may very briefly pop in and back out a one-way trail, and this is OK.)
Notes from RMOC:
Come try Ski-Orienteering! This is the Scandinavian sport of map-reading and navigation on XC skis. It can be a serious competition for elite skiers, or a fun map-reading excursion for non-competitive participants. In either case, the objective is to read the map provided to you, visit each checkpoint location, and return to the finish. A typical Advanced course may take one or two hours to complete; less time will be required for for Beginner and Intermediate courses.
All controls will be located on trails. But, back by popular demand, there will be some "bushwhack" possibilities for those hearty (foolhardy?) souls who want to try cutting through the woods in some places between trails, rather than skiing around.
Controls will be marked on the map with red circles; in the terrain, controls will be identified with orange and white flags. There are no control descriptions in ski-orienteering, but each control will have a code. Make sure you punch the correct control by matching the code against your map or clue sheet.
Careful map reading and route choice is the key to orienteering. Will bushwhacking save time over a longer route on groomed trails? Can an experienced orienteer out-navigate an expert skier? Come try it and have some fun! Beginners are especially welcome.
- Local Weather Forecast: noaa.gov
- Driving Directions:
- Take I-70 West.
- Exit #232 / US 40 West towards Granby / Empire.
- Drive through town of Berthoud Falls and over Berthoud Pass.
- Drive through towns of Winter Park, Fraser and Tabernash.
- Look for brown sign, "Ski Area Ahead".
- Turn into Snow Mountain Ranch / YMCA of the Rockies entrance on left hand side of road.
- Follow "Barneløpet", "Sons of Norway", and "Orienteering" signs to the Start / Finish / Registration area at Legett Hall.
- [Snow Mountain Ranch Map]
- [Google Map] (39.98551 N, 105.92227 W)
Pre-Registration FormOnline pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2019-05-20 07:18:22