Event Details For:
Advanced Practice Courses, September 5-6-7 at Laramie Range (Laramie, WY)
Saturday, September 5th, 2020 - Monday, September 7th, 2020
Meet Director: Mikell Platt (LROC)
Course Setter: Neal Barlow & Mikell Platt
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: N / A
Pre-Registration Deadline: 10:00 pm MDT on Thursday, September 3rd, 2020
[List of Registered Runners]
Event Details: The Laramie Range Orienteering Club is planning three advanced orienteering practice courses near Laramie, WY (~two hours north of Boulder / Denver), in the Medicine Bow National Forest, over Labor Day weekend.
* Difficulty: The weekend's events will consist of three practice courses for advanced-level orienteers (anyone able to complete a Brown, Green, Red, or Blue course).
* Logistics: This will be a bare-bones event: each course will be self-timed; results will not be recorded or published; and beginner instruction will not be offered.
* Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required by 10pm on Thursday, September 3rd. Use the form at the bottom of this page.
* Water: There will not be any water on any of the courses, or at the start / finish; please bring your own water bottle or hydration pack, and your own snacks.
* Toilets: There will not be porta-potties or pit toilets at any of our practice course locations. Use the bathrooms at the Visitor Center when you exit I-80.
Saturday, 9/5 Sunday, 9/6 Monday, 9/7 Map: Twin Boulders Antenna Hill Granite Planite Course Setters: Mikell Platt Neal Barlow Mikell Platt Course Details: Advanced -- Red (with shortcut options) 9.2 km, 24 controls 9.5 km, 555 m, 24 controls 5.2 km, 22 controls Check in & Start: 9:30 - 11:00 am MDT 9:30 - 11:00 am MDT 9:30 - 11:00 am MDT Course Markers: Pink & blue streamers Pink streamers Pink & blue streamers Map Cases: Map cases provided
*If you arrive late, look for maps on the windshield or tailgate of the white pickup truck.
- Maintain a six-foot separation from others at all times.
- Please wear a mask when you're around other people in the parking / start / finish area.
- Do not attend if you:
- feel unwell or are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms,
- have recently been in close contact with a person with symptoms, or
- Are under a quarantine requirement.
Entry Fee: These practice courses will be free. However, if you would like to make a donation to help defray map printing costs, that would be welcome and appreciated. LROC accepts cash and checks payable to "Laramie Range Orienteering Club".
Twin Boulders (Saturday): The course is about 9.2 kms with 24 controls. Some vegetation changes have occurred since the map was originally surveyed, including a very fresh select thinning right in the vicinity of the Start. Runners may encounter some unmapped areas of beetle kill deadfall. -- Mikell Platt, Course Setter
Antenna Hill (Sunday): Control sites are marked with pink tape and, for the whiners, they are at least six inches off the ground. There are opportunities to cut corners to reduce distance and climb.There are some very open areas and others not so much. In particular a lot of dead fall in some of the white areas, particularly around already light green and on hill sides. I have tried to avoid the worst, but included some green legs to remind everyone how lucky we are to have so much runnable terrain. Unfortunately there are a few easy navigation legs to get around the worst of the dead fall. -- Neal Barlow, Course Setter
Granite Planite (Monday): The course is about 5.2 kms with 22 controls, and all of the flavor of a middle distance course with none of the character of an ultra long course. -- Mikell Platt, Course Setter
Waivers: All participants are required to sign an online LROC waiver HERE, even if you have already signed the RMOC annual waiver (RMOC's annual waiver does not mention or cover LROC).
If you're attending as part of a group, every participant in the group needs their own signed waiver.
Travel: Please refer to our 2018 event page for detailed information about hotels, camping, and activities in Laramie. Please call ahead to confirm details & availability due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Driving Directions: There will NOT be any directional signs, and cell service may be limited. Please print these directions for reference.
Please park no more than one car length off the dirt road.
* Saturday, 9/5 -- Twin Boulders: From Laramie, drive east on I-80. Take exit 323, drive north over the interstate, and turn left onto WY 210 (Happy Jack Road). Take WY 210 east towards Cheyenne for about 7.6 miles and turn left (north) onto Forest Service Road 701. Take Forest Service Rd 701 north for approximately 3.3 miles to 701B (the 2nd possible right once you pass the corral and go over a cattle gate at the corral). Turn onto 701B and park. [Google Map]
* Sunday, 9/6 -- Antenna Hill: From Laramie, drive east on I-80. Take exit 323, drive north over the interstate, and turn left onto WY 210 (Happy Jack Road). Take WY 210 east towards Cheyenne for about 2.4 miles and turn left (north) onto Forest Service Road 712A. Then take the first left onto Forest Road 712 AB. [Google Map]
* Monday, 9/7 -- Granite Planite: From Laramie, drive east on I-80. Take exit 323, drive north over the interstate, and turn left onto WY 210 (Happy Jack Road). Take WY 210 east towards Cheyenne for 11.1 miles and turn right (south) onto Forest Service Road 700. Take Forest Service Road 700 south for very roughly 0.7 miles to 700R (first possible road to the left). Turn onto 700R and park as convenient. [Google Map]
[Overview Map] (ignore the dates!)
Photos L-R by Pete Curtis, Graham Baird, and Rex Winterbottom.
- Local Weather Forecast: WeatherUnderground.com
- Driving Directions: See driving directions above.
Online pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2020-09-19 16:06:51