Event Details For:
☀ Ongoing UsynligO Training Course at Rainbow Falls (Woodland Park)
Monday, June 1st, 2020 - Thursday, December 31st, 2020
Meet Director: N / A
Course Setter: Jim Baker
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: N / A
General Information: THANK YOU to Jim Baker for creating a Green (long advanced) training course at RMOC's Rainbow Falls map.
The course is loaded in the UsynligO app. UsynligO ('InvisibleO' in Norwegian) is a GPS-based smartphone app that makes orienteering courses available without flags to mark the control points. The app vibrates and makes a sound when you have found the control point location. Beginners can ask the app for hints (direction and distance).
* Download the app HERE.
* Read the app configuration requirements HERE.
* Launch the app and tap "UsynligO Events" to search for Rainbow Falls.
* Tip from Attackpoint: set the punching radius to 25m and the minimum accuracy to 100m.
You must load the course into the app while you still have cell service, even if you're using a printed paper map. Once you start the course, the app only requires GPS (not cell service) to track your location.
* Please complete RMOC's 2020 online waiver before starting the course.
* Please abide by all state & local guidelines related to COVID-19.
* If you want a paper map, find it using your browser HERE or use the UsynligO app to download and print (tap map name, "Tap Here for the Map", and then tap the share icon to send the PDF file to your email or printer).
Course Notes from Jim Baker: There's some cell service on this map, though probably not complete. You might have to get somewhere to call for rescue.
Enjoy, and make sure to use good social distancing and sensible safety. It's hours for Douglas County SAR to come, and they don't always call Teller SAR (much closer) to handle these calls, so be prepared for self rescue for anything minor. Do carry a mask, plus the usual safety like water, whistle (there are people out there, though spread way out), sunscreen/hat, maybe an ankle bandage.
Do take public health directives to heart. I'm one of the SAR folk who'll have to rescue you. ;-) Carry a mask in case you need to approach people, or be rescued. We have proper Personal Protective Equipment, but it's limited, so maximally reducing the odds of it being contaminated (in case we need to clean and reuse), or of us getting and transmitting something to other people we rescue or live with, helps. Do the course alone or with household members; don't approach anyone who may happen to show up the same time (at least six feet); etc. These guidance links give more complete info: [Colorado DNR Outdoor Recreation Guidelines] [FAQs]
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions: From the junction of Highway 24 and Highway 67 in Woodland Park, take Highway 67 north for about 10.5 miles to Rainbow Falls Park Road. Parking is just east of Rainbow Falls Park Road, about a quarter-mile from the junction of Highway 67 and Rainbow Falls Park Road.