Event Details For:
Orienteering Meet at US Air Force Academy (Colorado Springs)
Saturday, September 11th, 2021
Meet Director: Maiya Anderson
Course Setter: Neal Barlow
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinator: Doug Berling
Pre-Registration Deadline: 11:59 pm MDT on Thursday, September 9th, 2021
[List of Registered Runners]
General Information: This event will be hosted on the US Air Force Academy, a federal installation.
You must have a state or federal form of identification to enter the Academy, and you must enter through the north gate (directions below) during the visitor hours between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
DOD ID card holders may enter from the south gate or north gate outside of visitor hours.
If you are not a US citizen and you plan to attend this event, you must contact Meet Director Maiya Anderson at email@example.com no later than 5:00 pm MDT on Thursday, 8/26/2021, in addition to pre-registering online. If you don't contact Maiya before the deadline, USAFA gate personnel will deny you entry to the orienteering event.
Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for this meet. Use the form at the bottom of this page.
RMOC Members: Expedite meet check-in with a year-long waiver. [Details]
Beginner Instruction: Basic Beginner Instruction will take place today at this event at 11:45 am in the vicinity of the Registration table.
Note that we'll also have a free "Learn to Orienteer" session on Saturday, August 21st. [Details]
Volunteers: Please add your name to the Volunteer Sign-up Sheet HERE if you can help before or after you complete your course. We need the usual roles to be filled: Set-up, Registration, Beginner Instruction, Starts, E-Punch Crew, and Control Pick-up, as well as Water & Snacks.
11:45 am Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 11:45 am in the vicinity of the Registration table. 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm Registration and starts. (You can register/check in and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take a long time on your course.) 4:00 pm All courses close at 4:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 4:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 4:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Courses: This meet will offer standard Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
The Beginner courses (White & Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
Notes from the Course Setter:Very aggressive prickly pear and yucca can be found off-trail on all courses. Bring a comb or be prepared to find two small sticks to use remove the prickly pear lobes that seem to find their way to ones calves very easily. Don't try to remove them with your fingers.
- The White course will be the best choice for first-timers with no map and compass experience.
- The Yellow course has two legs likely to take runners well off-trail, one of which has a good attack point but no actual linear catching feature if using the most likely route choice.
- The Orange course has three long legs, each with off-linear-feature route choices, one without a linear feature to follow. All have good catching features.
- The Green, Red, and Blue courses each have water at two controls plus one mid-leg water stop.
- The Red and Blue courses each have one control that is visited twice.
Length Course Length
Beginner Very Short White 2.7 125 9 Yes Short Yellow 3.1 135 9 Yes Intermediate Medium Orange 3.9 180 8 Yes Advanced Medium Green 5.5 230 12 Yes Long Red 7.7 275 12 Yes Very Long Blue 9.2 410 18 Yes
Our standard meet fees will apply. Please refer to the table below.
We accept cash and checks payable to "RMOC".
We're offering a 50% discount on registration fees for US military members (active duty and reserve), US Air Force Academy cadets, cadet candidates, and Academy Archery Club members.
Status Age Course Type RMOC Meet
RMOC Member All Ages All Courses $11.00 $5.00 Non-Member Junior (under 21) All Courses $11.00 $5.00 Adult (21 and over) Beginner (White) $11.00 $5.00 Intermediate & Advanced $15.00 $7.00 E-Punch Discount (if you have your own -- where to buy) – $3.00 – $1.00 Extra Maps (for teams) $3.00 $1.00 Extra Courses (same person doing multiple courses on the same day) $5.00 $2.00 Compass Rental (collateral required -- car keys, driver's license, etc.) $1.00 $1.00 Safety Whistle Purchase $1.00 $1.00
Note: Teams only pay one registration fee per team (plus the cost of any extra maps they want; one map is included in the team registration fee).
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions: From Interstate 25, take exit 156A, North Gate Boulevard. Go west on North Gate Boulevard and enter the gate (have your government issued ID ready, i.e., drivers license). Continue west on North Gate Boulevard; after 0.7 miles, turn left (south) on Stadium Boulevard. After 2.7 miles, turn right (west) on Community Center Drive. After 1.6 miles, turn left on Aspen Drive, near the Prep School's Parade Field. Proceed 500 feet and then turn left on Cedar Drive near the Base Gym. Park in the parking lot across from (south of) the softball field. Registration will be located near the entrance (north side) of the Milazzo Center building” Please see the map below for the locations of the registration table, restrooms, parking, and the start. Approximate parking lot coordinates are 38.9788, -104.858.
Online pre-registration has closed, but you can still participate. Please register when you arrive at the meet. You may have to draw your course on a blank map.
Current date and time: 2021-09-16 21:42:45