Event Details For:
Rocky Mountain State Games at Fox Run Regional Park (Colorado Springs)
Saturday, July 23rd, 2022
Course Setter: Neal Barlow
Course Vetter: N / A
E-Punch Coordinators: Doug Berling & Jieyi Zhou
Meet Equipment: Doug Berling
Since RMOC is hosting this meet on behalf of the Rocky Mountain State Games, please note that the FEES, SCHEDULE, REGISTRATION PROCESS, and COURSE / CLASS CATEGORIES for this event will be different from a typical RMOC local meet.
Pre-register by 11:59 pm MDT on Wednesday, July 20, 2022, to save $5-10!
Volunteers: Please add your name to the Volunteer Sign-up Sheet HERE if you can help before or after you complete your course. We need the usual roles to be filled: Set-up, Registration, Beginner Instruction, Starts, E-Punch Crew, and Control Pick-up, as well as Water & Snacks.
Schedule: Please note that we are following a NON-STANDARD SCHEDULE for this event.
11:00 am to 1:00 pm Registration and Starts. (You can register and start at any time during this window. Start early if you want to try multiple courses, or if you expect to take a long time on your course.) 10:45 am & 11:30 am Basic Beginner Instruction will be offered at 10:45 am & 11:30 am in the vicinity of the Registration table. 4:00 pm All courses close at 4:00 pm. (We'll start picking up controls at 4:00 pm. Out of consideration for the meet volunteers, please check in and download at the Finish no later than 4:00 pm even if you haven't completed your course.)
Courses: This meet will offer standard Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced courses. You can find an explanation of the orienteering course color scheme at our FAQs page.
- The Beginner courses (White and Yellow) will be suitable for Beginners of all ages -- kids, adults, families, etc.
- Participants competing for a Rocky Mountain State Games medal must register and complete their course as an individual.
- Recreational / non-competitive participants may register and complete their course either as an individual or as a team. (Teams of just two or three people work better than large teams.)
- Adults may register for a younger age group category if they want to run a course that's longer or more advanced than the one designated for their actual age (e.g., a 36-year-old male can register for the M-21+ category rather than M35+, in order to run the longer Blue course instead of the Red course).
- Juniors may register for an older age group category if they want to run a course that's longer or more advanced than the one designated for their actual age (e.g., a 15-year-old female can register for the F-18 category rather than F-16, in order to run the Brown course instead of the Orange course).
Course Details (TENTATIVE):
Course Length Length (km) Climb (m) # Controls Water
Competitive Age Groups Beginner White Very Short 2.1 70 7 No · F-12, M-12 (age 12 & under) Yellow Short 2.9 90 9 Yes · F-14, M-14 (age 14 & under) Intermediate Orange Medium 3.5 120 10 Yes · F-16, M-16 (age 16 & under) Advanced* Brown Short 3.3 60 8 Yes · F-18 (age 18 & under)
· F55+, F65+, F75+, F85+
· M65+, M75+, M85+
Green Medium 5.3 150 14 Yes · F-20 (age 20 & under)
· F35+, F45+
· M-18 (age 18 & under)
Red Long 6.2 270 18 Yes · F-21+ (any age)
· M-20 (age 20 & under)
· M35+, M45+
Blue Extra-Long 7.6 330 18 Yes · M-21+ (any age)
*Advanced course runners may have a map exchange.
- Local Weather Forecast: NOAA.gov
- Driving Directions:
From Interstate 25: Take exit 158, Baptist Road. Go east on Baptist Road; go south on Roller Coaster Road; go west on Stella Drive. Park entrance will be on the north side of Stella Drive.
Note: Parking is not allowed along the sides of the roads in the park -- only in the designated parking areas.